police blotter logo

The following is based on selected Arlington Police Department logs from Jan. 23 through Jan. 29. No arrests were reported.

Excerpts from the Arlington Police Department log:

Tuesday, Jan. 23

12:31 p.m. – Identity Fraud. A Cutter Hill Road resident reported to police that a collection agency is dunning him regarding a $1,600 iPad purchase that someone else had made at an AT&T store four years earlier using his credit-card information. The man told police that he needs to document and somehow address the matter now, as it has adversely affected his credit score. Police completed the documentation but told him that he would need to seek a solution with his credit-card company.

6:28 p.m. – Identity Fraud. A Coleman Street resident said that she had received a telephone call from El Paso from a female voice claiming that there was a warrant for her arrest for money laundering. The local resident said that a male voice then got on the line, repeating the same information and offering a service to avoid legal charges if she were to wire money from her bank account (amount not specified in the report) to a certain other account. The resident told police that she then tried to initiate the wire transfers but wasn't sure whether the funds had actually changed hands. Police told her that she had been targeted by a scam, that she should pay out no funds and that she should work with her bank to protect her account.

Wednesday, Jan. 24

6:15 p.m. – Breaking and Entering a Motor Vehicle. A Broadway resident called police to report that a backpack containing her wallet was taken from her car after she had left it unlocked “for five minutes” while picking up her daughter. Arlington Police Department spokesman Capt. Richard Flynn said that police are looking into the matter and that nearby security video footage may offer a clue, but that, obviously, leaving a car unlocked for any length of time is a bad idea. “The few seconds it takes to lock up a car is a good investment,” he said.

Thursday, Jan. 25

12:43 p.m. – Accident without Injury. Police and fire units were dispatched to the scene of a two-car accident on Pleasant Street that callers had judged perhaps serious enough to have caused injury. A Holliston woman's 2016 Volkswagen SUV was seen to have rear-ended an Everett man's 2014 Toyota Rav4 after the latter slowed down at a crosswalk to let a pedestrian cross. The impact, leaving damage to the VW’s front bumper, did not cause airbag deployment and caused only minor damage to the Toyota. The VW driver was issued a citation for failure to yield. No one was injured.

4:44 p.m. – Customer Problem. A Summer Street resident called police from a convenience store saying that he had tried to withdraw $100 from the store's ATM, and, although the transaction initially appeared to have gone through, the machine tendered no currency bills. Officers arrived, tested the machine and found no malfunction nor evidence of a scam. The man said that he would contact his bank and have his debit card deactivated.

Friday, Jan. 26

1:03 a.m. – Malicious Destruction of Property. A Pleasant Street apartment dweller called police after being awakened by the sound of someone trying to kick down the front door of the building, followed by that of breaking glass. Officers arrived and determined that the alleged intruder might have entered the building through a secondary entrance. After conducting a thorough search of the building and reporting an all-clear, the officers were approached outside by a man who appeared to be intoxicated and who, under questioning, allowed that he had been drinking at a local establishment. When the man denied having anything to do with an attempted break-in, the officers asked to look at the bottom of his sneakers, which they found caked with mud. Comparing his shoe bottoms with tracks found near the secondary entrance, they found an exact match. Police photographed the damage, the footprints and the shoes, and they plan to examine the building's security footage as initial steps in a criminal investigation. The suspect's wife arrived, and police released the suspect to her custody pending possible charges, probably to include malicious destruction of property, Flynn said.

7:47 a.m. – Accident with Possible Injury. Police were alerted to a two-car accident at Route 2 and Lake Street that the caller said looked serious enough to have caused injury. Officers arrived to find the incident already being handled by State Police. Consequently, the APD report contained no details about the accident's cause nor whether any injury resulted.

11:57 a.m. – Injury on Town Property. Police and ambulance personnel were called to the intersection of Court Street and Mass. Ave. to attend to a delivery man who had fallen five feet from the back of his truck while making a delivery to a local restaurant. The man reported having lost his balance and fallen awkwardly, injuring his left arm. The ambulance took him to a local hospital.

1:42 p.m. – Larceny under $1,200. A Lowell Street resident contacted police saying that she had accidentally left an iPhone worth $1,000 at a house that she had just professionally cleaned, but, when she went back to that house, the homeowners wouldn't let her in to retrieve it. Police are investigating.

Saturday, Jan. 27

2:41 p.m. – Accident without Injury. Police and fire units were called to a Mass. Ave. location near the Old Schwamb Mill, where a 2009 Subaru had crashed into the rear of a building. The driver, an Arlington resident, told police that his wife had left the driver's seat adjusted such that he could not reach the brake; as a result, he had driven the Subaru through the Mill Lane / Lowell Street intersection and then through a back lot of the Mass. Ave. building before barreling into the building itself. The driver did not appear to be injured; the report did not say whether the airbag had deployed. Officers told him that he would be subject to an imminent-threat investigation that could cost him his license. A National Grid crew arrived to inspect a gas meter that had been partially struck but turned out to be fine. The man's wife arrived to take him home. The badly damaged Subaru was towed.

7:17 p.m. – Accident without Injury. Police and fire units were summoned to an Appleton Street crash site after a mother and son in a black Toyota Rav4 careened into a parked and unattended Jeep Wrangler. The Toyota driver told arriving officers that she had been distracted by her son in the back seat and was also worried about her sick daughter at home and therefore “did not see” the parked Jeep even though the latter, according to the report, had been left with hazard lights flashing. No injuries were reported. The report did not state whether she received a citation.

Monday, Jan. 29

11:36 a.m. – Animal Complaint. Police received a call that a woman had allegedly been bitten in the leg by a dog being walked on Venner Road. The woman stated that she had lurched from the sidewalk into the road to avoid it but that the male owner had failed to control the dog, which was able to strain against the leash and bite her. The bite victim initially declined treatment for the wound but was later persuaded by an animal control officer to obtain a tetanus shot. Animal Control is continuing to work on the case.

Jan. 25, 2024: Teslas tangle, checks get washed, 'customers' cause concern

This column by YourArlington volunteer writer Chris Wilbur was published Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024, based on information from Arlington Police Department daily logs, explanations from APD spokesman Capt. Richard Flynn and YourArlington's files.